Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

IF: Beneath

Experimenting with suminagashi ("ink-floating"), an ancient Japanese technique of decorating paper. Ink is dropped carefully to float on a still water surface and then blown across to form delicate swirls, after which the ink is picked up by laying a sheet of rice paper atop the ink covered water.
The result is unpredictable and makes me think of geological strata beneath the earth surface.

IF: Beneath

12 comments:

  1. I love what you have done here! Could you share the secret (if I may ask...)? This is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shalini!
    No secret (it wasn't me who invented this technique).
    You can refer to:
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Suminagashi%3A+Japanese+marbling-a011927764
    I did it in a simpler way: ordinary ink (Pelikan), black and light brown. No sumifactant. Ordinary brush. The paper is important because it must be very absorbant: I used a chinese paper that my father bought for me in a chinese store in the U.S.A. many years ago.
    Then, after it was dry, I collaged it and played with watercolors.
    There is also a sweet, homemade video on Youtube showing how easy it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YezlAQS28OM
    And now a warning: suminagashi is ADDICTING.
    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Affascinante! Questi effetti sono bellissimi, e anche sorprendente è il procedimento, sembra quasi una magia quando il foglio viene estratto dall'acqua ricoperto di queste segni misteriosi! Mi piace moltissimo poi come l'hai utilizzato con il collage e gli acquerelli, che esaltano la sinousità dei vari "strati geologici"... un'idea bellissima, il tutto è sul serio molto giapponese! Un abbraccio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this effect! Absolutely beautiful and so delicate :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Thanks for sharing the links too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The hollow-men live in the rock, they move around inside it like nomadic cave dwellers. In the ice they wander like bubbles in the shape of men. But they never venture out into the air, for the wind would carry them off.

    They have houses in the rock with walls made of holes, and tents in the ice with canvas made of bubbles. During the day, they stay in the rock, and at night they amble onto the ice to dance in the full moon. But they never see the sun or they would burst.

    They eat only emptiness, such as the shape of corpses, they get drunk on empty words, on all the empty speech we utter.

    Some people say they have always existed and always will. Others say they are the dead. And still others say that every living man has his hollow-man in the mountains, just as the sword has its sheath, and the foot its footprint, and that they will be united in death. "
    Mount Analogue - René Daumal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molto interessante. Come avrai capito sono queste le cose che preferisco, anche se non sempre riesco
    ad ottenere quello che voglio. Grazie anche per i complimenti che mi hai fatto. Elvi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspiring! I would love to try this! Love the geological sahpes you came out with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful works Barbara!
    You can't imagine how I understand you...
    I've never been in Italy (I descend from italians). I dream of going visit and smell Italy. My sister and a friend went to you country last year and they were totally amazed, crazy, emotional about the trip. It's unforgettable, they say...
    Keep painting and hoping,
    Ana from Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, prima di tutto grazie mille per il link che mi hai messo sul tuo commento, non conoscevo "le scarpe" di Van Gogh.
    E poi, complimenti per questo quasi astratto, davvero molto affascinante. Davvero un bel lavoro.
    Ti aggiungo subito tra i miei blog favoriti. Un abbraccio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is very nice. Your profile was nice to read. Hope you are following the path to your happiness. Keep drawing and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to play with this! Thank you for sharing. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...