Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

DIY

carriole4


Almost one year has passed, and the earthquake debris still have not been removed.
The town center is still closed to the people who used to live or work there.
Many or us have not even seen it after the earthquake.
We have had enough of it.
Thus, the people of L'Aquila decided to remove the debris by themselves and have been doing it, with wheelbarrows and buckets, for three weeks now.
On 28th February I was there with my family (my husband and my eldest daughter are in the drawing above). I met so many of my fellow citizen whom I hadn't been seeing for months, I saw the main street full of life, smiling faces, voices, again. I felt part of a community, again.
We all were there to demonstrate, but also to work, in a very concrete way.
It was beautiful.
It felt like home. Almost.

3 comments:

  1. Barbara, I am so sorry to hear about your town's catastrophe. I hope your creativity project helps you to process your feelings and heal from this tragedy. I very much like your painting; art is so very theraputic. I wish you & all the people of L'Aquila the very best. And thank you for visiting my blog. Take care! - Laura Marsh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot, and it is so resembling them. The wheelbarrow initiative is not going to solve all the problms of the city, but I like it a lot and welcome it as a way to make people meet each other again around a very concrete project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this piece and looking forward to growing with you in the Flying Lessons e-course. -Robin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...